Percy Smith is appointed by the Bishop of
Carpentaria, Rt Rev S. H. Davies
as the first
resident Anglican priest based in Alice Springs, Northern Territory.
The license states, “Priest in Charge of Alice Springs and District, and Surrogate in Central Australia.”
1933 - Bishops License Document - Back
Father Smith commences his ministry to the Aboriginal children at “The Bungalow.”
'The Bungalow' site, formerly the Old Telegraph Station, was a closed government institution where stolen children
Photo taken by Percy Smith.
1933 - The Bungalow site. Formerly the Old Telegraph Station
Girls playing hockey at "The Bungalow."
1934 - 'The Bungalow' - Girls playing hockey
Washing day at “The Bungalow.” The building in the background was originally the battery room. When the site became “The Bungalow” in 1932 this building was the classroom.
1934 - Washing day at 'The Bungalow'
7 August - Newspaper report on Father Smith’s 2000-mile drive to Alice Springs, the largest Anglican parish in Australia.
1935 - Newspaper Report - Priest who is real bushman - Off to Alice Springs by car
1936 - photograph taken outside new Church of the Ascension in Alice Springs. Father Smith, Vic Peace, Housekeeper, Cyril Gable and Ditto the dog.
1936 - Outside Church of the Ascension
1936 - Town of Alice Springs from ANZAC Hill.
Completed construction of new Anglican Church of the Ascension and rectory in Bath Street.
1936 - Town of Alice Springs from ANZAC Hill
1937 - Anglican children group with Fr Ken Leslie & Fr Percy Smith at 'The Bungalow.'
1937 - Anglican Children Group with Fr Ken Leslie & Fr Percy Smith at 'The Bungalow'
1937 - Father Smith on Donkey at 'The Bungalow', Alice Springs
1937 - Father Smith on Donkey at 'The Bungalow'